Monday, June 20, 2011

Be Not Afraid

It has been written that the expression "Be not afraid" (and others which say the same thing, but in different words) can be found in the Bible 365 times. How many days are there in a year? You do the math! Even having said that, our working assumption for several weeks has been that it is 335 miles from one end of the coast to another. When we made pledge forms for 1st Way, so that people could “sponsor” me for the Pilgrimage, we said “approximately 335 miles.” Then we revised the numbers up into the 340’s, but the plan was still to do 335 (total) and call it a day (or a month, as the case may be). The other night, while reading a magazine called “Mile by Mile”, I discovered that Brookings is supposedly at milepost 358! The math just wasn’t going to work, given the days remaining and the miles to be walked. But, both GPS and more careful map reading now indicate that the distance is still in the 330’s to low 340’s . . . so all of the nervous energy I devoted to fretting over this the other night, after reading the magazine, was, after all, wasted. The math now seems to indicate that 12-13 miles a day will allow us to arrive safely in Brookings by June 28 (and we’d still have the 29th if we need it). I look forward to arriving at Holy Cross parish on July 1, so we should be pretty safe . . . or so it appears right now. Those who have been to Brookings know that it is another 5 miles or so from there to the California border, but let me get to Bandon first! That will happen Tuesday (Day 21).

Fr. Karl Schray, my first pastor after I was ordained nearly 22 years ago, has been generous in hosting Bruce Kramer and I for a couple of nights. Fr. Michael Patrick has already rolled out the red carpet at Holy Trinity parish in Bandon. And it looks like we will be able to stay for several nights at the unoccupied rectory in Gold Beach at the end of this week. The morale among priests of our Archdiocese has been high for many years and it is all the more encouraging to see how kind these brothers in ministry have been in offering hospitality. Please pray for them and for all of the others who are in out-post parishes, far from major cities.

Today I devoted myself to praying for all the people who have ever (or will ever) pass through the doors at 1st Way Life Center. I prayed for all of the young (and older) mothers who have been cared for there, for the fathers, for the children, for the volunteers, for those who one day may visit there, for the supporters of the ministry, and for all of you who are following this journey to bring greater awareness to the important work being done there.

When I occasionally listen to music on the way, I always start with a few songs from Matt Maher. He’s a Catholic musician and artist who is at St. Timothy’s parish in Tempe, AZ. Matt is involved with Oregon Catholic Press and Life Teen Ministries. His song “Lay It Down” (a song of surrender to the mercy of God) accompanied me up the 753 foot ascent near Neskowin. That seems like eons ago! Today, although I needed to climb only 400 feet, I listened to Matt’s “Your Grace Is Enough.” I thought that listening to music would be an interruption to my prayer, but songs like those are more like a continuation of it. God is, indeed, good!


Climb to Beaver Hill
(400+ Feet)


View from Beaver Hill
(How Come They Don't Name Anything After
the Ducks on the Coast?)


A St. Francis Moment
(They Appeared out of Nowhere)

Some perspective on the worrying I did the other night about dates and distances: “I have learned over the years that when one’s mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.” Rosa Parks

A few people have asked for a look at the non-artist Rembrandt. Here you go:


Not the Artist



From Day 20:


The Bay Bridge (one last time)
from Fr. Karl's Backyard


Junipero Taking a Break
(After 13.1 Miles)


 
Tomorrow: Do I get extra credit for skipping?

No comments:

Post a Comment