Tuesday, June 28, 2011

With Gratitude

One of the things which I’ve come to appreciate over these 28 days is that all of us are pilgrims. All of us are “on the way” following the One who is “the Way.” Pilgrimage can be done in month-long journeys like this one and they can be done as an ordinary way of living, each and every day. No matter how short or long the distance and no matter how familiar or unfamiliar the route, we all experience the daily possibility of great adventure. This happens when we go to work or school or church or shopping or to a friend’s house. It happens when we walk the dog, go to the doctor’s office, go out to get the mail. That’s how amazing God’s grace is; He is constantly calling us to participate in that very grace. It is impossible to not be in the presence of God.

Being a “tourist” in life or watching life unfold like an audience member would be way too easy and it would be foreign to our Christian calling. Instead, God, through Jesus, has given us the chance to walk not only toward Him but with Him. In that sense, we are all on the Road to Emmaus, constantly. Are not our hearts burning within us? I think all the emotion I felt as I drew near to Brookings and then crossed the Chetco River Tuesday was really from a burning heart that was finally “getting it”: this hasn’t been about the destination as much as it has been about the transformation along the way. The total miles can be counted, but the change in my heart is another matter. Thanks God. Thanks to you. Thanks to everyone who has provided support along the way. Thanks to my parents (my Dad has been my most avid supporter and I have felt my Mother’s love every step of the way). Thanks to all of you, in advance, who will likely hear tales of this journey for years to come. Just nod politely and say, “It must have been quite an adventure.” Yes, indeed, it has been.



Rumor Has it that the Highway Has Been "Straightened"
in Places, but the Mileposts Haven't Been Adjusted
(Take it Up with the Dept. of Transportation!)


At the Border (I Guess You Figured that Out!)


Ready to Head Back to Astoria, But Not Today


Dipped My Hand in the Columbia for a Blessing 28 Days Ago
and Here in the Winchuck to do the Same


June 28 is the Feast of St. Irenaeus. His name means "lover of peace." May he intercede well for us today and always, that we might also be known as lovers of peace. The final prayer for today’s posting is ascribed to St. Patrick, himself a lover of peace:

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise, Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

***

If you have not read the comment by Jim Givens (cf. Grace Abounds), please do so. It is so true that the freedom of these days has allowed me to both focus intently on some things and be completely unencumbered by others . . . the fruit of which has been a blessed journey. I don’t want to embarrass Jim, but his comments over this month have been more eloquent than I could have ever written (he and Ilona are quite a team!) . . . I should have had them along as ghost writers!

It has been quite humbling to have visitors to the blog from Germany, India, Mexico, the U.K., France, Malaysia, Nicaragua, The Netherlands, and the United States. There have been over 6,000 “hits” on various pages, 42 Followers, and lots of comments. Some of you don’t have my phone number, nor my email address (sorry), but the comments shared through texting and emails have been a source of encouragement. The comments here have been especially encouraging along the way and they have been helpful in more ways than I can say.

After 28 days on the road, trails, and beaches, there are some things which I will miss:
trying to skip down the highway with a 15-pound pack on my back; truck drivers, who looked at me skeptically at first, but who have seen me so often that they now offer a polite tap of their horns and an easy glide closer to the center lane and away from the variance (which I understand is the official name for “the shoulder”); the Eagles, Herons, Osprey, and all the other winged creatures who have soothed my thoughts with the graceful way they fly; the roar of the ocean, which still leaves me in awe when I think about how constant it is and for how long it has been that constant; the many St. Francis Moments when the goodness of God and His creative beauty have shown through hopping bunnies, creeping caterpillars, dancing deer, and so many more animals; feeling bridges literally bounce when heavy trucks cross them (though this is disconcerting when one is 345 feet above the creek or river below); encounters with people who were genuinely curious about what I was doing and where I got “that stick”; the bicyclists who have been eager to say “have a safe trip”; parishioners at various parishes who offered such a warm and generous welcome and cash and checks (unsolicited) for 1st Way; rain-free days (it rained half a day and a total of 2 hours and 40 other minutes the whole time I’ve been walking); the Run Keeper app on my phone, which has helped me stay on pace and keep an idea of how long I’ve been on the road each day; Matt Maher’s music; the satisfaction of the little achievements each day, like x miles as a goal and x miles walked; the ready assistance of Paul, David, Paula, and Bruce each day - and their company (by the way, please pray for David and his family, their Dad died on Sunday - may he rest in peace); all of the God-kissed moments and seeing the beauty of the coastal flora at 3 miles per hour; the variances in Curry County - they must have some dedicated pedestrians on their transportation committees, three cheers for them!

There are also some things which I will not miss:
Scotch Broom (a plant which is everywhere on the coast, is not native to Oregon, and sends me into sneezing fits; I have refused to take any photos of Scotch Broom because I didn’t want to encourage it in any way!); restaurant food; those tricky corners around hills and mountains where the variance disappears on both sides of the road; vehicles which have a passing lane and, therefore, two lanes in which to drive, but stay as close to the variance as possible (aargh); getting all “geared up”, as I called it, with moleskin and tape and bandages each morning.

***

Please be generous in supporting 1st Way or the outreach to young pregnant mothers in your area. There is no more valuable work to be done as far as our future is concerned. The last report I got was that over $6,000 has been pledged to support 1st way. So, one more time: God is good.

***

I wish I knew how to draw this to a close. I may write again before the end of the week, after I’ve had a day or so to reflect more. How about if we agree that Thursday morning will be the final time that I post something? I believe the site will remain open until I choose to close it, but I cannot imagine when that will be. For now, thanks again!

A couple of final St. Francis Moments:

An Egret
(Perhaps sent by the Eagles and Herons
to say "So Long!")


The Winchhuck River Flows into the Pacific Ocean
"Help us to see the beauty of creation
and to comprehend the wonder of your truth
in all things."

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fr. Mark,

    Congratulations on a job well done! You are a true inspiration in accomplishing a task that requires persistent daily increments. Take joy in it! Twenty-eight days and the entire Oregon coastline; wow, truly amazing. Be safe on your journey home and may God's grace be on you with your new assignment. Eugene will miss you...

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy to see that you have indeed completed all those miles safely and happily, Father Mark! And we wish you the blessings of grace, purpose, humility and joy (with room for a continued focus on self-care, exercise and contemplative time) as you take on your new role in Portland next month. Our hearts are with you always...

    Love, Wendy, Stephen and Toraja

    ReplyDelete